There was a lengthy discussion on DPI at the Computer, Freedom, and Privacy conference. If you’re interested in the technology, and how various parties are engaging with technology and surrounding issues, then you should definitely take a look at it.
Canadian SIGINT Summaries
The Canadian SIGINT Summaries includes downloadable copies, along with summary, publication, and original source information, of leaked CSE documents.
- Parsons, Christopher; and Molnar, Adam. (2021). “Horizontal Accountability and Signals Intelligence: Lesson Drawing from Annual Electronic Surveillance Reports,” David Murakami Wood and David Lyon (Eds.), Big Data Surveillance and Security Intelligence: The Canadian Case.
- Parsons, Christopher. (2021). “Canada’s Proposed Privacy Law Reforms Are Not Enough: A Path to Improving Organizational Transparency and Accountability,” Citizen Lab.
- Parsons, Christopher. (2020). “Huawei & 5G: Clarifying the Canadian Equities and Charting a Strategic Path Forward,” Citizen Lab.
- Knockel, Jeffrey; Parsons, Christopher; Ruan, Lotus; Xiong, Ruohan; Crandall, Jedidah; and Deibert, Ron. (2020). “We Chat, They Watch: How International Users Unwittingly Build up WeChat’s Chinese Censorship Apparatus,” Citizen Lab.
- Gold, Josh; Parsons, Christopher; and Poetranto, Irene. (2020). “Canada’s Scattered and Uncoordinated Cyber Foreign Policy: A Call for Clarity,” Just Security.
- Parsons, Christopher; and Gold, Josh. (2020). “A Deep Dive into Canada’s Overhaul of Its Foreign Intelligence and Cybersecurity Laws,” Just Security.
- Parsons, Christopher; Molnar, Adam; Dalek, Jakub; Knockel, Jeffrey; Kenyon, Miles; Haselton, Bennett; Khoo, Cynthia; and Deibert, Ronald. (2019). “The Predator in Your Pocket: A Multidisciplinary Assessment of the Stalkerware Application Industry,” Citizen Lab.
- Gill, Lex; Israel, Tamir; and Parsons, Christopher. (2018). “Shining a Light on the Encryption Debate: A Canadian Field Guide,” Citizen Lab.
- Parsons, Christopher; Hilts, Andrew; and Crete-Nishihata, Masashi. (2018). “Approaching Access: A comparative analysis of company responses to data access requests in Canada,” Citizen Lab.
- Parsons, Christopher; Gill, Lex; Israel, Tamir; Robinson, Bill; and Deibert, Ron. (2017). “Analysis of the Communications Security Establishment Act and Related Provisions in Bill C-59 (An Act respecting national security matters), First Reading (December 18, 2017),” Citizen Lab // CIPPIC.
- Molnar, Adam; Parsons, Christopher; Zoauve, Erik. (2017). “Computer network operations and ‘rule-with-law’ in Australia,” Internet Policy Review6(1).
- Parsons, Christopher; and Molnar, Adam. (2017). “Government Surveillance Accountability: The Failures of Contemporary Canadian Interception Reports,” Canadian Journal of Law and Technology 16(1).
- Parsons, Christopher. (2017). “The (In)effectiveness of Voluntarily Produced Transparency Reports,” Business & Society.
- Parsons, Christopher; and Israel, Tamir. (2016). “Why We Need to Re-evaluate How We Share Intelligence Data With Allies,” Just Security, February 2016.
- Parsons, Christopher; Israel, Tamir. (2016). “Gone Opaque? An Analysis of Hypothetical IMSI Catcher Overuse in Canada,” Citizen Lab – Telecom Transparency Project // CIPPIC.
- Parsons, Christopher. (2015). “Beyond Privacy: Articulating the Broader Harms of Pervasive Mass Surveillance,” Media and Communication 3(3).
- Parsons, Christopher. (2015). “Stuck on the Agenda: Drawing lessons from the stagnation of ‘lawful access’ legislation in Canada,” Michael Geist (ed.), Law, Privacy and Surveillance in Canada in the Post-Snowden Era (Ottawa University Press).
- Parsons, Christopher. (2015). “The Governance of Telecommunications Surveillance: How Opaque and Unaccountable Practices and Policies Threaten Canadians,” Telecom Transparency Project.
- Parsons, Christopher. (2015). “Beyond the ATIP: New methods for interrogating state surveillance,” in Jamie Brownlee and Kevin Walby (Eds.), Access to Information and Social Justice (Arbeiter Ring Publishing).
- Bennett, Colin; Parsons, Christopher; Molnar, Adam. (2014). “Forgetting and the right to be forgotten” in Serge Gutwirth et al. (Eds.), Reloading Data Protection: Multidisciplinary Insights and Contemporary Challenges.
- Bennett, Colin, and Parsons, Christopher. (2013). “Privacy and Surveillance: The Multi-Disciplinary Literature on the Capture, Use, and Disclosure of Personal information in Cyberspace” in W. Dutton (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Internet Studies.
- McPhail, Brenda; Parsons, Christopher; Ferenbok, Joseph; Smith, Karen; and Clement, Andrew. (2013). “Identifying Canadians at the Border: ePassports and the 9/11 legacy,” in Canadian Journal of Law and Society 27(3).
- Parsons, Christopher; Savirimuthu, Joseph; Wipond, Rob; McArthur, Kevin. (2012). “ANPR: Code and Rhetorics of Compliance,” in European Journal of Law and Technology 3(3).