The CBC’s Jesse Brown has a nice piece that tries to respond to the question, “Is Throttling Necessary?” I won’t spoil the answer (or possible lack of an answer), but I will note that Jesse incorporated a few pieces of information that I’ve posted about here. If you’re not already subscribed to his Search Engine podcast, you should – it’s amongst the best Canadian tech journalism (that is accessible to non-tech people).
Canadian SIGINT Summaries
The Canadian SIGINT Summaries includes downloadable copies, along with summary, publication, and original source information, of leaked CSE documents.
- Parsons, Christopher; and Molnar, Adam. (2021). “Horizontal Accountability and Signals Intelligence: Lesson Drawing from Annual Electronic Surveillance Reports,” David Murakami Wood and David Lyon (Eds.), Big Data Surveillance and Security Intelligence: The Canadian Case.
- Parsons, Christopher. (2021). “Canada’s Proposed Privacy Law Reforms Are Not Enough: A Path to Improving Organizational Transparency and Accountability,” Citizen Lab.
- Parsons, Christopher. (2020). “Huawei & 5G: Clarifying the Canadian Equities and Charting a Strategic Path Forward,” Citizen Lab.
- Knockel, Jeffrey; Parsons, Christopher; Ruan, Lotus; Xiong, Ruohan; Crandall, Jedidah; and Deibert, Ron. (2020). “We Chat, They Watch: How International Users Unwittingly Build up WeChat’s Chinese Censorship Apparatus,” Citizen Lab.
- Gold, Josh; Parsons, Christopher; and Poetranto, Irene. (2020). “Canada’s Scattered and Uncoordinated Cyber Foreign Policy: A Call for Clarity,” Just Security.
- Parsons, Christopher; and Gold, Josh. (2020). “A Deep Dive into Canada’s Overhaul of Its Foreign Intelligence and Cybersecurity Laws,” Just Security.
- Parsons, Christopher; Molnar, Adam; Dalek, Jakub; Knockel, Jeffrey; Kenyon, Miles; Haselton, Bennett; Khoo, Cynthia; and Deibert, Ronald. (2019). “The Predator in Your Pocket: A Multidisciplinary Assessment of the Stalkerware Application Industry,” Citizen Lab.
- Gill, Lex; Israel, Tamir; and Parsons, Christopher. (2018). “Shining a Light on the Encryption Debate: A Canadian Field Guide,” Citizen Lab.
- Parsons, Christopher; Hilts, Andrew; and Crete-Nishihata, Masashi. (2018). “Approaching Access: A comparative analysis of company responses to data access requests in Canada,” Citizen Lab.
- Parsons, Christopher; Gill, Lex; Israel, Tamir; Robinson, Bill; and Deibert, Ron. (2017). “Analysis of the Communications Security Establishment Act and Related Provisions in Bill C-59 (An Act respecting national security matters), First Reading (December 18, 2017),” Citizen Lab // CIPPIC.
- Molnar, Adam; Parsons, Christopher; Zoauve, Erik. (2017). “Computer network operations and ‘rule-with-law’ in Australia,” Internet Policy Review6(1).
- Parsons, Christopher; and Molnar, Adam. (2017). “Government Surveillance Accountability: The Failures of Contemporary Canadian Interception Reports,” Canadian Journal of Law and Technology 16(1).
- Parsons, Christopher. (2017). “The (In)effectiveness of Voluntarily Produced Transparency Reports,” Business & Society.
- Parsons, Christopher; and Israel, Tamir. (2016). “Why We Need to Re-evaluate How We Share Intelligence Data With Allies,” Just Security, February 2016.
- Parsons, Christopher; Israel, Tamir. (2016). “Gone Opaque? An Analysis of Hypothetical IMSI Catcher Overuse in Canada,” Citizen Lab – Telecom Transparency Project // CIPPIC.
- Parsons, Christopher. (2015). “Beyond Privacy: Articulating the Broader Harms of Pervasive Mass Surveillance,” Media and Communication 3(3).
- Parsons, Christopher. (2015). “Stuck on the Agenda: Drawing lessons from the stagnation of ‘lawful access’ legislation in Canada,” Michael Geist (ed.), Law, Privacy and Surveillance in Canada in the Post-Snowden Era (Ottawa University Press).
- Parsons, Christopher. (2015). “The Governance of Telecommunications Surveillance: How Opaque and Unaccountable Practices and Policies Threaten Canadians,” Telecom Transparency Project.
- Parsons, Christopher. (2015). “Beyond the ATIP: New methods for interrogating state surveillance,” in Jamie Brownlee and Kevin Walby (Eds.), Access to Information and Social Justice (Arbeiter Ring Publishing).
- Bennett, Colin; Parsons, Christopher; Molnar, Adam. (2014). “Forgetting and the right to be forgotten” in Serge Gutwirth et al. (Eds.), Reloading Data Protection: Multidisciplinary Insights and Contemporary Challenges.
- Bennett, Colin, and Parsons, Christopher. (2013). “Privacy and Surveillance: The Multi-Disciplinary Literature on the Capture, Use, and Disclosure of Personal information in Cyberspace” in W. Dutton (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Internet Studies.
- McPhail, Brenda; Parsons, Christopher; Ferenbok, Joseph; Smith, Karen; and Clement, Andrew. (2013). “Identifying Canadians at the Border: ePassports and the 9/11 legacy,” in Canadian Journal of Law and Society 27(3).
- Parsons, Christopher; Savirimuthu, Joseph; Wipond, Rob; McArthur, Kevin. (2012). “ANPR: Code and Rhetorics of Compliance,” in European Journal of Law and Technology 3(3).